Pages

Friday, 13 March 2015

You set my heart alight.


I stood here for years
Away from the main path
Providing the shade for the bulbs and squirrels
The environment changes
Children call out and play games
The allotments are busy
But people don’t notice me.

I stood here for years
The seasons passed by
And my girth just grew thicker
The wrinkles deepened
And my veins began to rot
But people still don’t notice me.

I stood here for years
When I notice the changes
And my outer skin begins to break down
Smaller creatures take up residence
My core is beginning to break down
But people still don’t notice me.

My time here is limited
It’s lunch time, I hear the bell ring and children call out
There’s a strange quiet
Footsteps approach but only one person
The spark surprises me, but the warmth is surprising
Now people are noticing me.

I stood here for hours
Whilst water covered me
My core disappeared but my girth intact
My charred centre and smoke filled air
I’ll provide a home to different creatures whilst I wait to rot
Then people might notice that I have gone.

The Statue - Albert Rec 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and help me on my writing journey.